Sunday, February 3, 2008

Upsets in all forms.

"What is defeat? Nothing but education;
nothing but the first step to something better."
-- Wendell Phillips


I didn't watch the Super Bowl this year, but I've heard of the upset -- "Giants Stun Patriots in Super Bowl," or so goes the title. I'm not big on football, but I can relate to the feeling of defeat in many other sports -- hockey, soccer, you name it. I suppose people feel this form of unrelenting upset because there's so much feeling put into watching the game. A lot of empathy is inserted into big-time events, such as this. People even end up feeling utterly devastated after one of these upsets. I can relate. You place a lot of hope in stuff like this -- take, for instance, my little wager on the WJC 2008 championships. I put my entire outlook on this term, my little ounce of hope, on the outcome of the final game.

Sometimes insignificant little things mean a great deal of significance.

And all one can do is learn from these upsets, I guess. There's really nothing you can do. Time won't turn back its hands and rearrange fate. But time can teach a lot of things, post-defeat. So sleep on things that seem hopeless, and wake refreshed and renewed.

Hope, in effect, is found in hopelessness.

No comments: