Monday, January 7, 2008

Dr. Seuss: "I don't like green eggs and ham either."

I do not like green eggs and ham.
I do not like them, Sam I am.
-- Dr. Seuss (Green Eggs & Ham)


I will not lie. I cannot lie. In fact, I will simply tell the truth because there is absolutely no point in telling you that the first day back was exhilarating. I felt like I was smelling morning puke on the bus ride -- this is me being dramatic, so ignore this pedantic bit of writing -- and the subway was ultra-packed, as per usual, at St. George station. I've never been more disinterested in the TTC. I have no problem with taking long rides to places in the middle of nowhere, for my own reasons, but to drag myself (at 8-ish in the morning) to the bus stop was horrendous. Pft.

The first day back was bullshit. Yes. That's the term.

CHM139 should have been a breath of fresh air, but how many people do you hear saying that? We can count the people from last term too -- see what they say. I'm already dreading it. The clicker. The online assignments. The first term test on Valentine's day (not that this really matters, what with me having absolutely no purpose for that day, but it irks me).

Maybe I'm just not giving the semester a chance. I'm pre-judging it far before it's had any time to prove me wrong. I do not like green eggs and ham. Oh yeah; that's for sure. I wonder what the green eggs and ham will be this time around. I do not like them, Sam I am. Who will be the poor fool that tries to consciously convert me from my current loath of the term?

Ok. So I'm being a big pessimist. I'm not used to this pessimism. It's taking over me with all forms of cynicism. I'm going to do my best to try and like the term, but I highly doubt I will. If I'm lucky, I'll like green eggs and ham; I'll find something to like about CHM139 and MAT135. I'll... do something. Find something.

I need to punch something.
Or play a good game of... something.

No comments: