Saturday, January 5, 2008

WJC Finals: "It's a 4-peat!"

"You don't have enough talent to win on talent alone."
-- Herb Brooks
(Miracle On Ice, 1980 USA Olympic Hockey Team)


If I remember correctly, it was a three-peat last year. This year, make it a four-peat. Not exactly a kind sounding word, and I highly doubt it'll catch on in the grammatical world, but it's exactly what describes the World Juniors Championship finals: CAN vs SWE -- GOLD.

Let me recap the last four years, all the way from 2005 (think: Richards, Perry, Phaneuf), to 2006 (think: Pogge, Barker, Pouliot), to 2007 (think: Staal, Toews, O'Marra) and finally 2008 (think: Mason, Marchand, Doughty).

2005, CAN 6 vs. RUS 1
Arguably one of the stronger teams. One of my favourites.

2006, CAN 5 vs. RUS 0
This was a fun return for Cam Barker, from the 05 team.

2007, CAN 4 vs. RUS 2
Another one of them Russia games, with a pre-C Alzner.
Arguably one of my favourite teams; this team was pretty solid.
If you watched it, you'll remember the Toews shoot-out against the USA.

2008, CAN 3 vs. SWE 2 (OT)
This was a high-energy, up-and-down kind of game.
Steve Mason, #30 was superb in his goaltending -- hardcore.
Shawn Matthias' attempt to score from a wraparound equivocates to
Matt Halischuk scoring right through the pie-hole, sealing the deal
in Sudden Death OT.


Honestly, I wished for this fairytale like ending. According to my own personal superstition, a team that has to play the quarterfinal (doesn't get the by to the semis) has very slim chances of winning gold. Canada lost once to Sweden, losing their composure in the third of a prelim game. But, I suppose that was fuel to the fire. Based on stats alone, I'd have my money on Sweden after the third period. And I'm glad that Canada won (we can thank Mason for a chunk of this -- without him, where would we honestly stand; it was good of him to get MVP of the game/goalie of the tourney). This win secured optimism for Winter Term 2008.

So, I made a promise. If Canada wins gold, it'll give me hope for this term and I swear I'll work harder. And, so I'll try. Kind of weird to base your success and work ethic on a hockey game, but each year's tournament ignites some kind of hope. And getting gold just feeds the flame.

So, Congratulations WJC 2008 Champs; way to go Canada!

And yes. I will officially get back to work. I will... read. And stuff.


PS: Based on character alone, I suppose this might rank in my top 5 favourite WJC Team Canada teams. Maybe in the top 3, in a tie with the 2007 team, followed closely by the 2005 team.

No comments: