Friday, January 4, 2008

WJC: Going For Gold

"A good hockey player plays where the puck is.
A great hockey player plays where the puck is going to be."
-- Wayne Gretzky



So I did the hockey-dork routine again. I woke up super early, ran to Price Chopper (ok, so I got a ride, but that's besides the point). I picked up all the possible ingredients one can possibly have (without being too fancy schmancy) for a vegetarian lasagna. Got started on that as soon as the clock's hand hit 11:00AM. Slaved over a stove and a cutting board (did you know how difficult it is to cut onions?). All this, so I could relax, watch the pre-game, semifinal showdown between Canada and the USA, show. With a plate of lasagna to warm me up.

Yes. I'm... strange. I've been on my feet since roughly 9 in the AM. I don't sit when I watch hockey games, in or out of an arena. I just can't. I get mini-heart attacks. This entire game was fantastic. I ran out of breath commentating (to no one but my half-asleep brother and a Landsberg-like dad). I, of course, was holding my breath with each passing second (knocking on wood whenever I could). And huzzah. Canada won, 4-1. Lovely, lovely, lovely. I'm overwhelmed with joy.

Now I can go back to work. Like I said, when the 5th come sand goes -- I'll resume my post as a boring, non-androgynous, grey-in-the-face U of T android. Until then? I think I'll take my sweet time eating lasagna, whilst I read a bajillion books. Hockey first. Work later.


PS: Go watch the WJC 2008 finals -- Canada VS Sweden on: Sat. Jan 5/2008, 2:00PM (EST). Make me proud. Ha.

No comments: