Monday, January 21, 2008

Finding peace of mind with a few movies.

"For most of history, Anonymous was a woman."
-- Virginia Woolf


For any who believe that watching movies, instead of doing well-deserved notes, is a waste of time, I beg to differ. Watching movies has this acute way of healing your broken, fried, dried and mushed mind. It helps gather the pieces, re-frame them and voila! You've recomposed your once messy self, and have settled from your volatile disposition. Trust me. Movies, now and then, are necessary for both enjoyment of the heart and peace of mind.

I've watched my share in the past week. I think I've watched more movies than I've ever done in a summer (then again, I'm usually reading sci-fi or classic fiction or doing something vaguely stupid, like hiking in recluse parts of the park/woodsy areas). They've definitely helped in reshaping and moulding my mind. Once a cynic, now a poet. That's how I see it.

Here's a list of what I'm recommending:
Persuasion, Juno, Mansfield Park, The Jane Austen Book Club, Atonement, Ratatouille, Bridget Jones' Diary: The Edge of Reason, Harry Potter 5: Order of the Phoenix, The Butterfly Effect, 27 Dresses, Driving Lessons, Ocean's Eleven to Thirteen, 13 Going on 30, Perfume (warning: very disturbing) and perhaps Ella Enchanted.

So see some movies before the tests kick in, or at least see a movie when you've finished one. I'm sure it'll ease your discomforts and remind you that there is life beyond four sides to a paper. I'm not saying to slack off and settle for less than you're capable of, I'm just anointing this factoid of relaxation. It's crucial to performance. Every now and then, a car needs a tune-up, right? That doesn't mean it goes straight for a fifty-mile road trip run -- no, it goes to the mechanic and lets itself loose.

You should try it sometime.
It really does help.

No comments: